Friday, December 12, 2014

Our Amazing Volunteers: Seeing Hope

Rebecca, a recent volunteer here at New Day Foster Home, has written this beautiful post about her own story and her time here.



It hit me the last day we were in the foster home.

HOPE.

That is what makes this place set apart.

Let me set the stage.

Adoption is a big part of my life.  Always has been.  Always will be.  Just in different ways.

It became an integral part of my very being over 40 years ago when I was adopted into a loving family. A little over 3 years later, my little brother joined our clan through adoption as well.

I’ll be completely honest.  Adoption really didn’t cross my mind very often.  I’m not entirely sure why.

As I grew up and met other people who had been adopted, it did bring a smile to my face and I instantly felt a strange connection even if I had just met said person.

Fast forward a few decades and adoption began to take on an entirely new meaning for me.

You see, my husband and I had 3 precious children. Two girls and a boy.  Your ideal perfect family.  We were done…

But, feelings began to stir and whispers were heard in our hearts.

In 2008, our “little” family of five traveled across the ocean to meet our newest addition waiting for us in China.  Our sweet, precious little China doll.

But, it was not until 3 days later, that our lives changed forever.

You see, things changed for us when we went to visit our new daughter’s orphanage.

Many precious children.

Many with special needs.

Many with a longing in their eyes.

Many needing the love of a family.

Our eyes were opened and we would never be the same.



To make a long story somewhat more short…

That was not our last visit to China.  We returned in 2010 to adopt our youngest son and then again in 2013 for our youngest daughter, our caboose.  Were we done?

Yes and No.

While we may be finished adding to our family, there is still much that can be done.

Our eyes had seen and our hearts were changed. You cannot take that away.

I first heard about New Day Foster Home through a family friend who had adopted a little girl who had spent time at New Day.

I could tell there was something special about this place.  You can see it in the precious photos that are posted of the beautiful children placed in their care.  The videos of happy children singing and playing perpetuate joy and exude happiness.

It was with great excitement, that my 15 year old daughter and I were able to recently volunteer at this wonderful place.

We spent 2 weeks at New Day and participated in a few different volunteer capacities. Of course, the highlight of our time there was when we were able to spend time with the precious babies in New Day’s care.



It was during these precious hours that I began to take notice.  This place was different.  As the days passed, it became clear.

HOPE.

These children have been given HOPE.

That HOPE may be in the form of a life-saving heart surgery.

Maybe it is in receiving special formula to allow for growth and strength.

Maybe it is in receiving physical therapy to learn new skills.

Maybe it is in that special, loving touch.

The list goes on and on.

New Day Foster Home is a place of HOPE.

We were richly blessed to see this HOPE with our own eyes.

A small glimpse into the incredible work of so many.

Just after a month that celebrates adoption, I am truly thankful for what adoption means to me on so many different levels.

Thank you, New Day family and friends, for the HOPE that you provide.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment